Sunday, March 7, 2010

My Strengths

This past summer, I held an internship in the business operations side of human resources at EMC Corporation. I worked under the Senior Director of America’s Field Human Resources and was able to see first hand what the job entailed. Throughout the summer I was given a multitude of projects which strengthened my ability to be responsible and accountable and also improved my written and verbal communication, problem solving and data analysis skills. One example involved me running EMC Performance Appraisal reports and aggregating the data into pivot tables and creating a Powerpoint presentation. The presentation was meant to show which performance areas appeared to be the strongest and which appeared to be the weakest. The findings were going to be reported to Area Sales Managers, so the information had to be on target and it required me to pay attention to every little detail. I compiled pivot tables for each area (there were twelve) and when I completed the project and showed the results to my boss, she felt the numbers were off. I went through every step I had performed previously and came to the conclusion that there was a glitch within the reporting system. Due to my sense of accountability and my need for problem solving, I knew I had to get to the bottom of the issue. I contacted people who were familiar with the reporting system and finally found out that the system was static and because of this, people that held positions as sales reps were being reported as district managers and area managers, etc. This explained why the numbers I reported were so far off. The system was updated after I brought attention to the issue. I re-compiled the pivot tables and Powerpoint presentation and my manager was able to use the presentation in her meeting with the Area Sales Managers.

1 comment:

  1. You have had the privilege of working for a fantastic company and getting exposed to some very dynamic aspects of HR, early in your career.

    This is a great start! Keep doing a fantastic job and you’ll find yourself with a great company full-time before you know it.

    ReplyDelete